After the addition of our home was finished I had my amazing/spiritual friend come over for a visit. To my surprise she brought along a bundle of sage to burn in all corners of our “new” home for a cleansing. The Native Americans believed the practice of burning sage around your home would purify and clear negative energy in that space. I have never heard of, nevertheless experience such a thing. I was completely in awe of the whole experience. She is a master of the sage cleanse, also kown as smudging. So I asked as many questions as I could think of and of course took notes to share with you. So here is how to use white sage to cleanse your home.
What you need
- Lighter or match
- Heat proof bowl or shell (Abalone Shells are most commonly used for spiritual beliefs.)
- Sage bundle
How to smudge
- First of all it is a good idea to crack some windows to allow the smoke to have a place to escape so your fire alarms won’t go off!
- Then you want to light the end of your sage bundle and gently tap the flame out in your heat proof bowl or shell. Be sure to continue to let the sage smoke.
- Some people like to start this ritual or cleanse with circling the sage around their own body to cleanse self of negative energy and welcome positive energy.
- Wave the smoke (with your hand or a feather) into the corners of each room around the house and across the doorways. It is common to start at the front door and work your way around the house and end at the front door. This way at the end of your smudging you can open the front door and let the remainder of the smoke exit through the door along with any negative energy.
- Once you are satisfied with your “cleanse”, you can allow the sage bundle to burn out, run the sage under water, press the sage into sand or press the remainder out in your bowl or shell.
- It is very important to also repeat a mantra, prayer or blessing while waving the sage smoke into the air. For example you can say: “Please send any negative energy to the heavens for healing and transformation.” “I ask the negative energies to leave and welcome the positive energies in.” Basically you can say anything that will make yourself and your personal space feel wonderful.
Give it a try
You can perform this “cleanse” inside or outside of your home, in your garage, car or place of business. Some people believe in smudging their home before they put it on the market. Although I am new to smudging I do believe in the power of positive thinking. Your mind is an incredibly powerful tool. If you choose to “cleanse” yourself or your personal space keep only positive thoughts. In turn you will have and love the positive outcome. Give it a try. There is no right or wrong, just set a good intention!